Friday, February 17

Day 5 - Sports Massage & Sports Injuries Course in Taiwan

Out of curiosity I had pink cornflakes for breakfast. They turned the milk pink so it was like having them in strawberry Nesquick. Some of the buses are pink too. When I left the hotel this morning it was raining and the moped riders were wearing brightly coloured macs as they streamed past and waited at the lights. Along with the bright yellow taxis and the pink buses it made for a colourful rush hour. The crossroad lights here are great. The green man actually moves and when you are running out of time to cross, speeds up until, when there are only 3 seconds left, he is running. Same as me. One day I shall write a thriller based in Taiwan and call it Green Man Running. The shops have super umbrella devices outside which wrap your wet umbrella in plastic for as Victoria rightly says, “its not good manners to let it drip on the floor”. 



One or two of the cosmetic sales assistants got dangerously close to lipsticking me today. I think the security guard I see on my way in may be tipping them off as to my route to the 11th floor. But I bent down suddenly as if to tie my shoe which was fortuitous because whilst in a crouched position I found another safety sticker. I couldn’t work out what it had to do with sharks but Kelly explained it was yet another reminder to keep fingers away from doors.

It was a great day and the students did brilliantly. We had been learning about knees all morning, describing and locating the different structures then getting proficient with the many special knee tests. They pick up everything so fast. Victoria is right when she says the Taiwanese are good at copying. 

Calculating the Q angle

Writing out knee structures in Chinese

Practising Appley's Compression Test 


At break I ate a boiled sweet that tasted a bit like blackcurrant but had salt in the centre when it eventually broke in my mouth. One of the students very kindly gave me a throat lozenge. It was triangular and looked like it was made from very tough black felt and tasted of menthol and mushroom at the same time. Sometimes when I try things here, they taste so different that I can't even find similar foods with which to describe them. I have forgotten what day it is. Maybe I only imagined the banana that’s lost in my room?

Learning knee structures

Student knee test notes

Sharp doors safety sign

Umbrella machine


To see what we're up to in our London classroom visit us at : www.thelondonmassagecompany.com or join our monthly updates and shares via our newsletter